By Michael Korda
New York Times bestselling writer Michael Korda's clean, modern unmarried quantity ancient biography of common Robert E. Lee—perhaps the main recognized and least understood legend in American background and one among our such a lot widespread heroes.
Michael Korda, writer of Ulysses S. Grant and the bestsellers Ike and Hero, paints a vibrant and admiring portrait of Lee as an excellent basic, a loyal kinfolk guy, and principled gentleman who disliked slavery and disagreed with secession, but who refused command of the Union military in 1861 simply because he couldn't "draw his sword" opposed to his loved Virginia.
Well-rounded and practical, Clouds of Glory analyzes Lee's command through the Civil conflict and explores his accountability for the deadly stalemate at Antietam, his defeat at Gettysburg (as good the various troubling controversies nonetheless surrounding it) and finally, his failed process for profitable the battle. As Korda indicates, Lee's dignity, braveness, management, and modesty made him a hero on either side of the Mason-Dixon Line and a respected American icon who's well-known this present day because the nation's preeminent army leader.
Clouds of Glory positive factors dozens of gorgeous illustrations, a few by no means prior to noticeable, together with twelve pages of colour, twenty-four pages of black-and-white, and approximately fifty in-text conflict maps.
Read or Download Clouds of Glory: The Life and Legend of Robert E. Lee PDF
Similar American Civil War books
Whilst Richmond landowner Washington Faulconer snatches younger Nate Starbuck from the grip of a Yankee-hating mob, Nate is either thankful and awed through his idealistic rescuer. To pay off his generosity, he enlists within the Faulconer legion to struggle opposed to his domestic, the North, and opposed to his abolitionist father.
The Pulitzer Prize? profitable writer unearths how Lincoln gained the Civil warfare and invented the position of commander in leader as we all know it As we rejoice the bicentennial of Lincoln? s start, this examine via preeminent, bestselling Civil conflict historian James M. McPherson offers a unprecedented, clean tackle essentially the most enigmatic figures in American historical past.
The hot York instances bestselling prequel to the Pulitzer Prize–winning vintage The Killer Angels during this brilliantly written epic novel, Jeff Shaara strains the lives, passions, and careers of the nice army leaders from the 1st collecting clouds of the Civil battle. here's Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson, a hopelessly by-the-book army teacher and religious Christian who turns into the best commander of the Civil battle; Winfield Scott Hancock, a captain of quartermasters who fast establishes himself as one of many best leaders of the Union military; Joshua Chamberlain, who offers up his promising educational occupation and is going directly to turn into some of the most heroic squaddies in American historical past; and Robert E.
Shuttle via A PIVOTAL TIME IN AMERICAN HISTORY
Jeff Shaara, America's greatest Civil conflict novelist, offers a striking guided journey of the 10 Civil struggle battlefields each American may still stopover at: Shiloh, Antietam, Fredericksburg/Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Vicksburg, New industry, Chickamauga, the Wilderness/Spotsylvania, chilly Harbor, and Petersburg/Appomattox. Shaara explores the background, the folks, and the locations that catch the real that means and significance of the clash and provides
• enticing narratives of the war's the most important battles
• exciting historic footnotes approximately each one site
• photos of the locations--then and now
• particular maps of the conflict scenes
• attention-grabbing sidebars with comparable issues of interest
From Antietam to Gettysburg to Vicksburg, and to the numerous poignant locations in among, Jeff Shaara's Civil warfare Battlefields is the fitting advisor for informal travelers and Civil struggle lovers alike.
Extra resources for Clouds of Glory: The Life and Legend of Robert E. Lee
2. The method of Churubusco. three. Cheat Mountain. four. Distribution of the accomplice forces in Virginia, as of the morning of March 24, 1862, and the assumed positions of the opposing usa forces. five. The Shenandoah Valley. 6. Approximate state of affairs in entrance of Richmond, approximately might 22, 1862, exhibiting protecting disposition of Johnston’s military and the strategy of McClellan. 7. sector among Chickahominy and Pamunkey rivers, displaying watershed (unprotected, in keeping with Stuart’s file) down which Jackson used to be to develop. eight. Plan of conflict north of the Chickahominy River, as introduced by way of common Lee on the council of battle, June 23, 1862. nine. The crude map of the region of Richmond, utilized by the accomplice excessive command through the Seven Days of battles of 1862. 10. path of Jackson, Ewell, and department, June 26, 1862. eleven. Battlefield of Gaines’s Mill, June 27, 1862, with comic strip of Jackson’s line of strengthen. 12. strains of enhance by means of the military of Northern Virginia, morning of July 1, 1862. thirteen. Longstreet’s plan for “converging fireplace” at Malvern Hill. 14. The junction of the Rappahannock and Rapidan rivers. 15. state of affairs on the shut of motion, August 29, 1862. sixteen. conflict of moment Manassas, or Bull Run, August 30, 1862. 17. Lee’s method of Maryland. 18. The method of Sharpsburg. 19. conflict of Sharpsburg (or Antietam), September 17, 1862. 20. place of the key devices of the military of Northern Virginia on the commencing of the conflict of Fredericksburg, December thirteen, 1862. 21. The method of Chancellorsville. 22. place of the military of Northern Virginia and assumed place of the military of the Potomac, approximately five a. m. , may perhaps three, 1863. 23. strains of accomplice boost from Williamsport into Maryland and Pennsylvania, June–July, 1863. 24. conflict of Gettysburg, July 2–3, 1863. 25. components of a hook. Drawing from flytyinginstruction. com. 26. aim of the accomplice attack of July three, 1863, at the correct heart at Gettysburg, displaying the contours (intervals of 4 ft) and the character of the obstructions. 27. Hotchkiss cartoon map of the accomplice positions round Spotsylvania courtroom condominium, may possibly 1864, after Grant’s increase throughout the wasteland. PREFACE The Portent In October 1859, Brevet Colonel Robert E. Lee,* commanding the second one U. S. Cavalry, in Texas, was once domestic on depart, laboring to untangle the affairs of his overdue father-in-law’s property. regardless of a super army career—many suggestion him the main able officer within the U. S. Army—he used to be a disenchanted guy. no one understood larger than Lee how slowly merchandising got here during this tiny military, or knew extra precisely what percentage officials have been prior to him within the all-important rating of seniority and stood among him and the probably unreachable step of being made an enduring complete colonel. He didn't consider, given his age, which used to be fifty-two, that he could ever put on a brigadier general’s unmarried famous person, nonetheless much less that status and armed forces glory awaited him, and even if he was once no longer the complaining variety, he usually expressed remorse that he had selected the military as a occupation. An engineer of substantial ability—he was once credited with making the effective Mississippi navigable, which between different nice merits became the sleepy city of Saint Louis right into a thriving river port—he may have made his fortune had he resigned from the military to develop into a civil engineer.